The LES100 Training Course is kindly hosted by CIPA.
This is the introductory course in the Licensing Executives Society’s Intellectual Asset Management Series and it is designed for those who are relatively new to licensing.
The course will provide an overview of intellectual property and licensing, divided into five modules, with examples, exercises, and interaction between instructors and fellow students including a mock licensing negotiation.
It is aimed at:
- -SMEs who require an introduction to licensing Intellectual Property (IP),
- -Those who are new to or considering a career in licensing and technology transfer,
- -Lawyers and Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys looking for greater familiarity with the business of IP licensing,
- -Entrepreneurs who need to understand the value of their IP,
- -Technologists who want to understand how to identify and monetise IP,
- -Those working in university technology transfer, and
- -Students interested in learning the basics of IP and how to commercialise IP through licensing.
What does the course cover?
- Module 1: Introduction & IP Basics: This Module introduces, defines and gives examples of the different types of IP including patents, trademarks, copyright, designs and trade secrets in the context of commercialisation.
- Module 2: Basics of IP Commercialisation & Licensing: Introduction to Licensing, including reasons for licensing, description of licensing agreements, infringement, competition law, and relationship-building.
- Module 3: Determining Reasonable Licence Fees & Royalty Rates: This Module talks about risks and rewards, different valuation methods (Market, Financial, Cost) and their pros and cons, together with royalty structures.
- Module 4: Managing Risks: Identify the different kinds of risk and how to manage them, i.e. confidentiality, infringement, liability, collection of royalties and other fees.
- Module 5: Licensing Game: Students put into practice what they have learned by dividing into licensee and licensor teams that then discuss and negotiate terms on a licensing case study. At the end of the sessions all teams report their results and reasoning.
LES100, as with all LES courses, is taught by LES member volunteers who are active practitioners in their fields.
LES/CIPA Member – £175
Non Member – £275
We are thrilled to offer a discount to Non Members wanting to join LES! Please contact the LES B&I Admin Office (email@example.com) to receive £100 off your 2020 membership!